We know that you will find a warm welcome at First Presbyterian Church on Galveston Island. Whether you are a visitor to the Island and just passing through, a new resident, or are searching for a church home, please know you are considered our honored guest. Please come as you are!
Please look around our site. We hope that something speaks to you and brings you to Galveston’s First Church.
The Session of First Presbyterian Church has voted to reopen the church for in-person gathering, starting Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11 AM. October 4th and 11th will still be virtual at 10 AM. The Session has also approved a list of guidelines as posted here:
In-Person Gathering at First Presbyterian Church, Galveston, Texas
- The church will be open for the 11 AM Worship Service only – no on-site Sunday School or fellowship time at present.
- When entering the building, please use the 19th St. entrance or the door through the playground area. Please do not use the porte cochere (daycare) entrance at this time.
- Doors will open 30 minutes prior to service.
- Wearing a face mask is required while in the building. If forgotten, we will have disposable face masks available at the entrances.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at both entrances.
- Please proceed into the Sanctuary to find a seat – no visiting in the halls.
- Singing and spoken words during the worship service will be done by the worship leaders only.
- Worship leaders will wear masks during the service when not actively speaking or singing.
- Friendship pads and prayer request cards will not be used during the service at the present time. Please email Pastor Ed any prayer requests by 10:30 AM on Sunday morning to be included in the Prayers of the People.
- There will be no offering collected during the service. An offering box will be available back of the church for drop off before or after the service. If interested in automatic withdrawal, please call the church office for more details.
- Following the worship service, no visiting in the Sanctuary or halls after the service to ensure social distancing and safe health.
Services will still be streamed. If you are immune-compromised, high-risk, or just not comfortable returning to public gathering, you can continue to fully participate in online worship.
If you have recently had Covid-19 or think you have contracted it or if you have been in contact with someone who has had Covid-19 symptoms or a positive test, please do not come to in-person worship until you have been cleared.
Join us on Sundays!
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Due to the pandemic Covid, we are currently not meeting at our church for any events. The session of first Presbyterian Church has decided that we will continue this course through October 18th. We are worshiping virtually. Services are streamed live at 10 AM on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/FPCGalveston/?eid=ARCTSq4j5Zo54rJNFUix5P9lq6iNMUIT-6v84pkSX9YnPcm_vpmw5p-7BT573It2j36io0PIoIQ92XN0). We post it on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-a041Uf9qSiwzccsYdKFg/) as well. The Bereans-Ida Austin Class is meeting on Zoom at 9 AM Sunday mornings. The Quest Class is meeting on Zoom at 11 AM Sunday mornings. For more details, please contact the church office.
Church School begins at 9:30 am, coffee and fellowship at 10:30, and worship begins at 11. With something for everyone, people of all ages can enjoy fellowship, study, and learning. Current classes include:
Children & Youth Bible Studies
Preschool 3-4′s Room 114
Elementary (K-Gr. 4) Room 220
Middle School (Gr. 5-8) Room 212
High School (Gr. 9-12) Room 210
Nursery for Infants & Toddlers with paid, first aid/CPR certified childcare attendants in Room 115.
Bereans-Ida Austin Class Room 110 (Library)
Seekers Class – Short-term studies Room 112
Quest Class – Religious and Bible Studies Room 120 (Gail Borden Parlor)
Fellowship time happens before the service at 10:30 am in McCullough Fellowship Hall, as well as following the service. Our gourmet coffee offerings are always a highlight of the morning. It’s a great time to meet new people, get acquainted, or catch up on your week.
We invite you to join us at 10:45 am in the sanctuary and join the Chancel Ensemble for gathering music. Performing a mix of contemporary praise and traditional hymns played in a modern way, the ensemble can help prepare your hearts & minds for worship. During the summer the Ensemble takes a break and will occasionally provide special music during the service.
Sunday morning service, a traditional style service with contemporary elements, begins at 11 am.
We celebrate Communion together on the first Sunday of every month by Intinction. (The act of dipping the bread into the cup and taking both together). All baptized Christians are invited to share the Lord’s Supper.
Can’t make it on Sunday?
Meal Teams prepare & serve dinner each Monday at the Galveston Salvation Army.
Monthly Horizon’s Bible Study held the first Tuesday of each month at 10:30 am in the Library/Conference Room on the first floor. Study books are provided. Check Facebook or contact the church for details.
Join Pastor Ed Wolf for Bible Study at 7:00 pm in the Knox Chapel. Studies generally last about six-weeks. Check Facebook or contact the church for details.
7:30 am Men’s Ministry Fellowship Breakfast at the America’s Kitchen, 500 Harborside Dr, Galveston, TX 77550
6:00 pm Chancel Choir Practice
First Presbyterian Church is a gun-free zone.